Monday, January 26, 2009

Mothers

What if... more mothers stayed home to raise their children?

As a nanny, I wonder about this often. There is only so much that outside influence can do for kids. They crave their parents attention. Believe me, I know. Yet, all too often I see families who have both parents that work and it’s, well.. heart breaking.

Personally, if you want to have a family and kids, plan on it. Don’t just fall into it in the middle of your school year so that either you drop out to raise them or keep going and they suffer. There is no rush to be someone and have a career (unless there is a dire need to make money.. but again, plan kids!). But, you should choose when you want to have a career and when you want to have kids (if the choice is available) because, from what I’ve seen, the two just don’t mesh well.

Above all, kids need their parents, especially their moms when they’re younger. And, believe it or not, you need them as well. I wish more mom’s would relish the younger years they will never get back with their children and end up regretting.

~LLP

1 comment:

  1. Now see LLP, I love both your blogs....

    I couldn't agree with your post more. Very well spoken! I used to be a nanny as well and I never understood why parents have children only for them to drop them off at a daycare at 6 AM, pick them up between 5-6 PM, only have about 1 or 2 hours to share with their child before it's bedtime. And then the whole routine is repeated the remainder of the week.

    I used to be a nanny as well, for about a year and a half and loved it, but I felt bad for the baby because he grew so attached to me and less and less to his own parents (which also made me feel bad for them in a way).

    I, too, had to go through a season of taking my two kids to daycare while I worked at Bank of America, but every day my heart ached. My kids are now 5 and 3, and after working for B of A for 10 years, I finally quit when I couldn't take it anymore (dropping my kids off that is). It's been almost 2 years this June that I've been home full time. YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete