Thursday, June 4, 2009

Learn

What if... learning never had a price tag?

Why should it? We all were given the free ability to learn in the first place, so why should it cost us to do so? We might as well be told, “Your brains, talents, and learning capacities are nonexistent unless you hand over your money.”

I’m so grateful for the advancement of the internet as well as places like the library. Sure, you do have to pay for the internet -a minuscule amount compared to college- but it’s worth it considering all you get in return. And both offer free access to knowledge! Limitless knowledge at every angle!

Now, I understand people have jobs. Trust me, I’m a teacher. I know full well that being paid is important for us. And I also understand that not everything on the internet is completely fact -you have to go through it with a fine toothed comb. Even some books in the library might be more hypothesis than anything else. However, some schools aren’t always as factual about the things they teach either. Often times, they’d rather teach what is popular, rather than what is accurate. And heaven help us if we compare! But, the net and library are FREE and limitless.

So, something doesn’t add up. Perhaps someone can help me out here...

We are told that in order to get a good job we MUST have a piece of paper from graduating college. However, that slip of paper does not tell you how well that person can do the job or what experiences they’ve had (other than spending money to sit in a class room, which still doesn’t tell you anything about how much they learned from doing so).

One kid that is in college to acquire that piece of paper may not have the same expertise someone not in college may. Yet, the one with the paper gets the job, isn’t that how it works? And for what? Faulty and incomplete teaching when you can get the same or even better by researching it on your own?

Most college kids I’ve known are all focused on the paper. They don’t care about the learning, though it’s important for more than just a job search. It’s imperative for life! No, all they care about is making the grade, doesn’t even matter if they really apply themselves. All they want is to pass the easiest way possible and get that paper. From there, their future is made.

Why are we so focused on this piece of paper when learning is not something that is locked up only to be found in a college classroom?

And is it just me, or does this system seem a little warped? So, just because I don’t have a college degree means that I’m incapable of working hard and learning all I can by other means? I hardly think so.

What’s your take on this? As you can see, my mind could use some perspective.

~LLP

To clarify-- With this post I have in no way said that colleges are inferior because I’m sure there are a lot of great schools out there. Neither have I said that all college kids are not interested in learning and working hard to be what they aspire. I am merely approaching the issue of learning being held at a high price. If any of this, my zeal, has come across offensive, I apologize profusely.

2 comments:

  1. I work at a college and can say without a doubt that 90 percent of the students study just enough to get that piece of paper. Some of them will go on to better things, but some will end up bagging my groceries.

    Learning should be done not to make a living, but to make a life. My opinion, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool, thanks for your input! What's your take on learning being bought though?

    And, I agree, learning should be to make a life. It seems that some people get the two -a living and a life- confused though.

    ReplyDelete